Saturday 23 July 2011

Patrick - Part 1

So, how exactly did we get there? After we got married in October 2007, we decided to wait a little while before starting a family but eventually thought about 9 months later that starting to try might do no harm. We got confirmed that we were expecting around the middle of August 2008, after numerous trips to the doctor and a number of negative test results.

We went public but allowed ourselves additional privately funded scans, the first of which we took August 30th. It was lovely seeing the baby grow. We wanted to know what we were having but Patrick appeared to be having a little identity crisis early on. First we were told they thought it might be a boy, then we were told definitely a girl and then we were back to a boy again.

Thanks to my white coat hypertension that seemed to intensify every time I set foot into the Maternity, I was closely monitored and we actually got quite a number of scans in the end.

Patrick measured a bit on the small side so it was decided that I should be brought in just shy of 39 weeks and be induced. At the start of the pregnany, I had hoped for an all natural experience but especially in light of the induction process, I was quite happily convinced the epidural might turn out to be a very good friend indeed.

I was kept in on Thursday 2nd April and they started inducing then. They would have kept me in over night to monitor the blood pressure anyway and gave me the choice to do that and come back Monday for induction or try straight caway. I figured my chances of being home and out of there in time for the big Heineken Cup match the following weekend would be higher if they started trying straight away, so in I went.

Nothing really happened until Sunday morning 1.30 am when eventually my waters broke. I texted Pat, who was ready to jump into the car that minute but I told him it could be ages yet and to wait til the morning. I spent the rest of the night pacing the floors to keep up the contractions and Pat joined me mid-morning.

By 11am we were brought over to the labour ward and got settled in. They took my bloods and sent them off to check I was suitable for the epidural. In the meantime they hooked me up to various things, contraction-intensifying stuff among it. I made use of the gas and air but found it ineffective as the drugs seemed to make the contractions way too strong. I was never quite sure if one was going or another coming. There was no natural relief between them...just lesser and stronger pain.

Once the epidural was in place, I was happy out waiting for things to progess.

Patrick was born at 8.52 pm on April 05th 2009. Due to the length of time between the waters going and him being born, he needed to be brought down to neo-natal to get antibiotics. They had given me them through the line and had he waited another 28 minutes, he would have gotten them through me but sure, once he was on the way, there was no waiting.

He weighed in at 5pounds and 12 ounces...small-ish but perfectly in proportion with himself.


Patrick just about a week and a bit old.


Patrick was a very relaxed and quiet baby from the start. Not much fuss about him at all. Once home and in a routine, he fed at 10-ish, 2-ish and again 6ish so we did not have too much trouble with the night feeds.

He was happy out being brought for walks in his buggy and I spent hours walking around with him whenever I could. Patrick was very smiley and had a lovely dimple just on one side of his face. I guess the other side did have one too but much less pronounced.

The weeks and months flew by and he gained weight and grew, eventually hitting the average percentile and growing along there nicely. He remained laid back and relaxed – probably a trait he got from his daddy's side of the family. 

Himself and me went on a little road trip in July 2009 visiting good friends in Dublin and Wexford. He was a model visitor and invited the come and stay again, in any case. 
I was really enjoying maternity leave with him.